Monday 30 May 2011

For the love of old.

I found this gorgeous Hungarian cookbook at Doo's Garage Sale on the weekend and couldn't resist bringing it home. It was printed in Great Britain by The Garden City Press Ltd., at Letchworth, Hertfordshire, MCMXXXVIII. So it was printed in 1938! It's 73 years old and has that damp and musty beautiful old book smell to boot. The illustrations, by I. Farkas & Zoltan Poharnok, are just sublime. They look like they have been hand coloured?





The Garage Sale was a huge success. It was great to see Doo's things going to lovely new homes where they'll be cherished.

2 comments:

zsofi said...

Hi there,
I arrived to your blog, through the Unravelling Flickr group. It made me smile that maybe I am the second Hungarian thing just popping up in your life today. The cookbook is amazing, really original ways of illustration. But what really made me amazed is the fact that I also bought the Lane Smith book last October…
Calling coincidence to tell you, I love your taste 
Best,
Zsófi Unraveller

Adventures with Dementia said...

Hello Zsofi,
How lovely to meet you! What a coincidence, your Hungarian, Lane Smith and an unraveller too. Isn't it wonderful the people you meet doing e-courses!
I'll look forward to sharing many more coincidences with you over the next 8 weeks.
xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...